The sources and documentation are distributed under the 2-clause BSD-like license.
Commercial support is available from Nginx, Inc.
Basic HTTP server features
Other HTTP server features
Mail proxy server features
- User redirection to IMAP or POP3 server using an external HTTP authentication server;
- User authentication using an external HTTP authentication server and connection redirection to an internal SMTP server;
- Authentication methods:
- POP3. USER/PASS, APOP, AUTH LOGIN/PLAIN/CRAM-MD5;
- IMAP. LOGIN, AUTH LOGIN/PLAIN/CRAM-MD5;
- SMTP. AUTH LOGIN/PLAIN/CRAM-MD5;
- SSL support;
- STARTTLS and STLS support.
TCP/UDP proxy server features
Architecture and scalability
- One master and several worker processes; worker processes run under an unprivileged user;
- Flexible configuration ;
- Reconfiguration and upgrade of an executable without interruption of the client servicing;
- Support for kqueue (FreeBSD 4.1+), epoll (Linux 2.6+), /dev/poll (Solaris 7 11/99+), event ports (Solaris 10), select, and poll;
- The support of the various kqueue features including EV_CLEAR, EV_DISABLE (to temporarily disable events), NOTE_LOWAT, EV_EOF, number of available data, error codes;
- The support of various epoll features including EPOLLRDHUP (Linux 2.6.17+, glibc 2.8+) and EPOLLEXCLUSIVE (Linux 4.5+, glibc 2.24+);
- sendfile (FreeBSD 3.1+, Linux 2.2+, macOS 10.5+), sendfile64 (Linux 2.4.21+), and sendfilev (Solaris 8 7/01+) support;
- File AIO (FreeBSD 4.3+, Linux 2.6.22+);
- DIRECTIO (FreeBSD 4.4+, Linux 2.4+, Solaris 2.6+, macOS);
- Accept-filters (FreeBSD 4.1+, NetBSD 5.0+) and TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT (Linux 2.4+) support ;
- 10,000 inactive HTTP keep-alive connections take about 2.5M memory;
- Data copy operations are kept to a minimum.
Tested OS and platforms
- FreeBSD 3 — 11 / i386; FreeBSD 5 — 11 / amd64;
- Linux 2.2 — 4 / i386; Linux 2.6 — 4 / amd64; Linux 3 — 4 / armv6l, armv7l, aarch64, ppc64le;
- Solaris 9 / i386, sun4u; Solaris 10 / i386, amd64, sun4v;
- AIX 7.1 / powerpc;
- HP-UX 11.31 / ia64;
- macOS / ppc, i386;
- Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.